Sunday, March 11, 2007

Looking back...


Ever had one of those days? Well on Friday I had one of those days. The kind of day that you wish you could redo or have not exist...like on Voyager where there'd be this crazy alien thing that means that a large chunk of time (aka an episode) techinically never happened...wish I could have had a non-episode day on Friday.

Okay, to give you some background. There is this INCREDIBLY annoying girl in a couple of my classes. Her name is Heather. She likes to talk A LOT in class. She asks tons of questions...which I technically don't mind. The part that I mind is when she answers her own question, which brings to my mind the question of why ask the question if you know the answer? Not only does she do that but she also talks over the professor to finish the sentence the professor is saying which just makes it really hard to follow the class. I also went in to get help once and she was there and when I asked a question she talked over the professor and answered it herself. One of my teachers does a really good job at shutting her down but this other teacher isn't as confident and is a little to nice and doesn't want to embarrass or discourage students just lets Heather rule the class.
All the people I sit next too are so annoyed and bothered by her. This class is hard enough to follow without someone disrupting it every five minutes. She's hindering people's education...she's hindering mine.
So I finally snapped on Friday. I wanted to say something to Heather but got nervous so I went and talked to my professor. But she didn't leave the classroom and Heather was still sitting there so I couldn't really express myself. And of course I got a little emotional. I just decided I should go. So as I got up to go so did Heather. We left and she went one way up the stairs and I started to go down. I told myself don't do it, but before I could stop myself I said "Could you not talk so much in class". She turns around and says "I'm just asking questions". I told her that I had no problem when she asked questions I just didn't appreciate her talking over the teacher and answering her own questions. She started arguing with me and I could tell that this wasn't the first time someone had been annoyed with her. She kept arguing with me and I of course was too emotional to really say what I wanted to say and she ended up walking off saying that she didn't need to argue with me.
I was so upset afterward. I ended up going back and talking to my professor. When I had talked earlier she had thought I was upset with people having side conversations. So the overall deal is that I had a talk with my professor and told her it was Heather. She understood but didn't know what to do. She even mentioned that Heather had answered a question of another student during office hours just like she did to me. She also mentioned that the Physics 201 professor had warned her that she would be hearing a lot from Heather in Physics 202. She explained that Heather is pre-med and likes to hear things confirmed again and again. She then said she'd try and encourage Heather to ask some of her questions outside of class, because she doesn't always get through the material because of her.
Even though this talk with my professor went well, I still felt really awful. I felt bad for making Heather probably feel bad, but at the same time I feel like she's had it coming and if someone doesn't explain to her things she's going to be rudely awakened someday. I felt stupid for crying infront of her and therefore not making much sense.
I'm sure I shouldn't have been so mean and I'll try and apologise to her after Break. I just hope that maybe I got her thinking, because I understand her point of view she just refuses to understand everyone else's point.
I feel bad though, and stupid. I hope that she is able to understand and that maybe I'll feel better and not like such a jerk. Who knows. I guess I just wish that this could have been my non-episode.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow.
I actually gasped when I read the part....okay now I can't remember which part. I wish I could go back now and reference which part it was!
You are so incredibly brave! I wish I could be as brave as you are. I am such a CHICKEN.
Do not beat yourself up. Definately the rest of humanity is glad you said something. They all wanted to. (She's lucky some Cardassian has not come and kicked her little keester in an episode!)
(And yes, I had to go to the den and climb on a chair and look at an old vhs tape to get the spelling of Cardassian.)
So, the moral is: well done.
Love and kisses,
Moogie

Anonymous said...

The part I gasped at was:
"Could you not talk so much in class"

Again: well done!

Moogie