Thursday, March 15, 2007

Bragging rights

I've never liked shopping that much. While my mom would try to teach me to shop around and finally make the purchase when I knew I'd found the best deal, I just wanted to buy it and not worry about whether or not it was a good deal.
Despite my obvious shortcomings when it comes to shopping I sure can find a good deal. For example...Kelly and I were on our way to the grocery store when we passed Kelly's favorite store, Wild Ivy. It's a little store where I once bought her some place mats and napkins. It's filled with lots of little things to decorate with etc. (Kelly can give a much better description). Anyway we decided to go in just to look around. Once inside Kelly was immediately distracted by the many things to choose from but I kept a level head. If I have learned anything about this shop it was that while things looked great, they also carried a deadly poison...a price tag that rarely carried an appropriate number. So while Kelly was running around looking, touching, hefting, admiring and acting like a six-year-old in a candy store, I maintained my composure. That's when I saw it.
I couldn't believe it. It was like one of those rumors you hear about, never really believe but deep down inside wished was true. It was a discount rack. The sign said 40% off so I was wary. If this was true it could open countless possibilities. I didn't want to startle it so I approached slowly. Reaching out to it like it was a scared puppy i touched it. It felt real enough so I picked up an object. To my surprise it didn't disintegrate in my hands. I slowly beckoned for Kelly to come. As she approached I took from the shelf a small ceramic container. We have been looking for something like this for a while but never found anything that satisfied our needs. Kelly was stunned...it was perfect. If only they had two more of varying sizes...but wait! Just behind the one we picked up we saw a much larger one. Inside it was a smaller one, and inside it was a smaller one still. A set of three containers that was just perfect for what we needed it for. As I turned the largest one over to peek at the price tag I was worried that our dreams would be crushed. As I looked at the small white sticker I quickly did the math in my head. At 40% off this was actually affordable. I quickly glanced at Kelly and she looked back and as if we were telepathically linked we began to gather up the three containers. As we slowly backed away from the bargain shelf I wanted to say, "Don't worry we'll meet again someday." It then took another 20 minutes to get Kelly to the register only 10 feet away but we finally made it out with our purchase in hand. I know I'm not the best shopper but I sure know a deal when I see it. And as for the bargain rack...we will meet again, someday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is super funny!

I think that you should definately get a few more of the jars that come with those green papers in them...the clear ones on the right side of the picture. They would seem to be the best deal of all!

I am so excited about your blog. And about shopping.
I taught Kelly so many things.
She has excellent shopping skills.

Kisses and lots of luck with that.

Yo Momma-in-law.
(It's my given name)

Anonymous said...

Congratulatioins on a great bargain! There are few things in the world more satisfying than getting a good deal. May many more hunts in your marriage end in this happy way :)