Saturday, August 16, 2008

Don't let the numbers fool you

Let me start off by saying I love the Olympics. I remember watching them on TV as a kid and cheering for the USA in any sport, it didn't (and doesn't) matter if I even understood the game. But one thing I always remember doing is keeping tabs on the medal count. Don't ask me why, but I would always look at it in the newspaper. I guess I just liked seeing how many medals we actually won in the games. So when I saw that I could put the medal count on my iGoogle homepage I was really excited. I heard that China was probably going to take the medal count from us this year so I really wanted to be updated every time I opened up Firefox so I could see how we fare. I had seen the medal count on NBC and was pleased that we were ahead in total number of medals but when I looked at the iGoogle gadget it has China listed first. NBC ranked the countries by total number of medals which currently puts the US in the lead with 54 to China's 47. However in Google they rank the countries by the most gold medals, then silver, then bronze. So that puts China ahead with 27 golds to our 16. Crazy that almost half of those are from Michael Phelps. So I decided to see who was leading the medal count another way. I gave 3 points for every gold medal won, 2 for every silver, and 1 for every bronze. Crunch the numbers and you get China leading the US with 114 points to 102 . . . as of 3:30 pm Pacific time on August 16th. I can't wait to see how it all turns out, not that it really matters. I'm probably not going to move to China if they end up with more medals than us, it just gives me something to do so I don't have to think about starting classes in 9 and a half days (not that I'm counting).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting you would bring up this subject. Earlier today Mark asked me how that worked when US had more medals, but China was often listed first. I didn't get into the assigning numbers to the medals in my explanation, but that's interesting. It will be interesting to see how it all comes out in the end.

Amy Bateman said...

See, enjoying the Olympics must be a hereditary thing! It's nice to see that we're holding our own with China. Before the games started it almost sounded like they were expected to have a lot more victories, although I know they do have some competition in track and field that they haven't had in the past, so we'll see how everything stacks up in the end.

Anonymous said...

Okay, now what's the final numbers?